It’s December and the holiday season is upon us! Whatever you celebrate, you may be wondering how to bring a little Australian sunshine to this year’s festivities. Whether you’re shopping for a student who’s ready to embark on a semester Down Under or a friend recently returned from adventures in Oz (or maybe you just want some Aussie goodies yourself), here’s a list to satisfy a variety of tastes.
1. The Crocodile Hunter DVD Set: Give a passionate biology, veterinary, or zoology student an extra edge in class with this gift. Crikey, how educational!
2. Tim Tams and Milo: A present for the culinarily inclined student, or those particularly fond of Tim Tam Slams. What’s a Tim Tam Slam, you ask? Find out here.
3. Australian literary works: For the bookworm, Australian classics such as True History of the Kelly Gang, Fly Away Peter or Coonardoo are perfect not just because they’re good reads — they also provide an inside look at Australian culture.
4. Sunblock, sunnies, and a hat: Essential for any student planning on spending time outdoors in Australia (whether on the beach or in the bush). Remember, “slip, slop, slap!”
5. Ugg Boots: Conversely, a student just returned from Australia may want to trade in those sunnies for some extra-warm footwear to brave the North American winter. Brrrr!
6. Australian music: For the rockstar student — some Aussie tunes! The Temper Trap, Xavier Rudd, Little Red, Empire of the Sun and Passion Pit are all good picks.
7. Australian movies: There are Aussie movies to fit every cinemaphile: Happy Feet (who doesn’t love cute dancing penguins), Australia (epic stories are always a win), Rabbit Proof Fence (cultural understanding is always a plus), and Muriel’s Wedding (for all those Toni Collette fans).
8. Clean Energy Gifts: Follow Australia’s leadership in sustainability and give the gift of green! These environmentally friendly gifts are sure to please the most Earth-conscious student.
9. Opals: There’s nothing quite like unwrapping something shiny and sparkly! Australia provides 97% of the world’s opals (which is its national gemstone).
10. Tickets to Australian Festivals: Australia has tons of festivals kicking off in the New Year, like Australia Day and the Sydney Festival. Why not get a student headed Down Under a couple of tickets to a cultural experience of a lifetime? Find a list of activities here.
Lastly, give the student who is heading Down Under the gift of preparedness — download our Pre-Departure Guide (for free! Right here!) for information on visas, traveling, housing, costs, and much much more.